Search This Blog

Thursday, September 6, 2018

Hello, here's my blog and its direction

Originally, I wanted to limit this to Erector Sets, Meccano and similar metal toy construction systems, but after chatting with my lovely wife, I decided to expand my vision and include discussions on all construction toys.

I have three grandchildren with hopes of more to come and I believe that play with these types of toys will greatly promote creativity, dexterity, concepts of construction, etc..., all while having fun.  I know that I'm having fun planning this for them.

Right now, they're all just a bit young for the lego and erector sets, but construction toys are more than just that.

I've re-discovered toys like Melissa and Doug carpenter sets.  These sets are modernized versions of the playskool carpenter set that I had as a child 50 years ago.  They've been modernized, updated, and expanded.  Where I had simply a tiny "bench" with a couple of wooden nuts, bolts and nails, the modern toys are complete  carpentry sets.  There are wooden nut and bolt systems similar to erector sets that their tiny hands can manipulate quite easily.

Instead of lego, we have found duplo blocks work in the same fashion.  Small hands, big blocks.  These are all a nice starting point for my grandchildren . . . ANY children, to get a fun start into educational playtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment