Search This Blog

Friday, October 12, 2018

Fostering Creativity

Fostering Creativity

I have always tried to foster creativity in my household with my children and now my grand children

I began by encouraging reading, watching educational television, going to museums, particularly the hands-on type childrens museums, trips to farms and zoos, etc . . .

I went so far as to have a 8 1/2 x 11 sign hanging in my office that consisted only of the word "THINK"

I have decided to change my tack somewhat now that I have grand children.

This brings us to my blog.

Just Construction Toys

I have always learned better by doing.  I can take classroom instruction, I can read how-to books and articles, or I can watch a video on how to do something, but the best way for me to actually learn the task is to put the tools and material in my hands and actually do it.  The manuals, teachers and videos are a WONDERFUL resource, but quite simply put, they're not enough.  At least not for me.  😄

My approach with my grand children is to have the learning toys readily at hand and to play with them with the children.  I have Legos, Erector Sets, Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, Tool Sets, etc . . .  All available for play.  They don't really even need to ask me.  I'll have them out building things and available for them to join me when they come to my house.

What can be learned from construction toys?  Quite literally, the sky is the limit.

Basic skills like problem solving, planning, following direction, time management, hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, etc . . .  all are touched on using these toys.

Think about it:
  • You want to build a model.  What parts are available, what parts are needed ?  . . . Problem Solving
  • What is the best way to put this model together ? . . . Planning
  • What steps will be needed before getting to certain points in the model ? . . . Following direction
  • I'd like to get this model finished before I go to bed tonight.  . . . Time management  (alright, this is a bit of a stretch as an example, but you get the point) 

Very specific skills can be taught / learned via construction toys.

How to brace, load constraints, building to scale, gear ratios, etc . . .

Who would benefit from these toys ?

Pretty much everyone.

Astronauts, architects, engineers, inventors . . . all sorts of professions that have a need to manipulate objects to get a result, will have benefitted from playing with construction toys as children.

Many people from these professions have mentioned playing with construction toys of one sort or another have played a part in molding their direction in choosing the career paths that they've taken.  Some have even used toys in their profession.

One example, William Seqell Jr.  A Yale Medical Student at the time, he built the first "Artifical Heart" using Erector Set pieces

Be bold!  Break out the Legos, Tinker Toys, and Erector sets and build.😄

No comments:

Post a Comment