Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Ephemera: Meccano ink block

Since my re-introduction to Erector Sets amost 30 years ag, I have had an interest in "all things Erector."  Hence this blog.

As I stated in my opening comment, I was originally planning on a blog titled "How to use Erector Sets," that morphed into "Just Construction Sets," dealing with all things relating to all kinds of construction toys.

This brings me to the topic of this post. 

The photo at the top of my blog.  Rather, Construction Toy ephemera. 

The photo at the top of my page is a printers ink block that I found on eBay. 


I'd been watching it for quite some time (a couple of years), thinking "WOW, That's REALLY COOL!"  I didn't really realize what it was, other than something that looked like an Erector Set crane.

I found this little tin box in an auction just a few months ago.



This tin box is the just a little bit larger than the printers block.  It's about 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches. 

It was at this point, that I realized what the printers block was all this time, as the crane on the box is a perfect fit for the printers block.

This printers block was used in the production of small tin cannisters for use with Meccano toy sets.  Not an advertisement, not something to print up cards for some collector or child's toy printing press, but an actual piece of Meccano history. 

The size difference between the printers block and the actual tin box is quite understandable, as the little boy would have been added either in the next step, or as another block mounted right next to the crane.

This block, or one just like it, would have been one of the actual blocks that printed the crane on the label on this box.

No comments:

Post a Comment